Saturday, August 5, 2023

Keep Reading


'Coffee cup verses' - short, meaningful Bible verses .... that can really screw up our theology.

We can get into trouble if we take just one verse and let it stand all alone by itself. What led up to that verse? What came after it?

Sometimes a parable can be related to the previous story. And without that background information it's hard to understand the parable.

Here's an example that loses its full meaning because someone inserted chapter breaks and verse numbers ro make things easier to read.

Jesus and Peter are talking. Jesus has just told the disciples that where He is going they cannot follow. 

"Peter asked, “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.”

Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? Very truly I tell you, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!" - John 13:37-38

That's where the chapter ends. It sounds like Jesus really let Peter have it, doesn't it? But the original text had no chapter break here and the story still continues in John 14 where we find Jesus reassuring His disciples in this way.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." - John 14:1-3

See what I mean? It's the same story, only by continuing to read, with no chapter break, we learn that although Jesus rebuked Peter, He also has compassion for him and the rest of the disciples.

Matthew 7 is another example. Jesus says "Do not judge" but then He goes on to explain about righteous judgement and then says "then you will see clearly" .... to judge.

The Bible can seem difficult to understand sometimes. But if we keep reading it, and do a little research, our understanding of it will increase.

No comments:

Post a Comment