Wednesday, January 10, 2024

La Porte


Like lots of Packers fans on Sunday, my wife and I were watching the Vikings-Lions game which preceded our big game. The Lions have a tight end on their team named Laporta.

"Laporta?" I said to myself. "Why does that sound familiar?" Welcome to High school French class.

Back then, after we were all seated in our desks, our teacher would say, "Fermez la porte," which means "Close the door."

Why do I even remember that? I was 15 years old! That was 55 years ago!! Yet I knew, today, that "la porte" means 'the door.'

"I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture." - John 10:9

Jesus told us that HE is the door. And what is a door? Is it not a means of entry through a wall? A barrier where there is no other means of access? Jesus is la porte into heaven.

But why did I remember that? It is because I heard it everyday in my French class for an entire semester. Repetition is how we train ourselves to remember things.

"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates," - Deuteronomy 11:18-20

God commanded us to memorize scripture. How are we doing with that?

We're like, "I don't have enough time in my day to sit down and memorize a bunch of verses."

"Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?" - Luke 6:46

"Fermez la porte et mettez-vous au travail."

No comments:

Post a Comment