Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Understanding Peace


The text came Sunday morning while my wife and I were getting ready for church. It was short and to the point.

"Paul went to be with the Lord Friday night."

My friend Paul had died. What struck me that day was my reaction upon reading his mother's text. I wasn't sad at all. I would have to say that my feelings didn't change. What an uncaring 'friend' some would say. It gets worse.

While is WAS sad for my friend's mother and brother, who I knew would be missing him, I was actually becoming calmly happy for my dead friend. Why?

My friend Paul had been battling brain cancer for over three years. Many surgeries, lots of pain, partial paralysis. A long, difficult battle that was now over. 

One time he and I sat at his dining room table and talked. We went on for a few hours. Then came this.

"I'm just ready to go home."

And that he did. And I'm glad. No more pain or suffering, for him OR his family. Yes, they have the pain of loss and of not seeing him again in this life. BUT . . . the mom's text.

"Paul went to be with the Lord."

"We are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord." - 2 Corinthians 5:6-8

This is something the unbeliever cannot comprehend, this rejoicing at someone's death.

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4: 4-7

And there it is. "The peace of God."

His mom has that peace now. So do I. Yes, we'll miss him. But my friend is with the Lord!! Would twer that I were! Jesus is why we rejoice. Jesus is why we have peace.

Scripture just told us that the peace we have in our hearts is from God. We cannot understand it, yet we receive it. Paul has it. Do you?

To God be the glory.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and He will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3: 5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment