Wednesday, March 6, 2024

A Slap and a Hug


I woke up this morning to a slap in the face, followed quickly thereafter by a loving hug. No, my wife is still sleeping. Let me explain.

First, some background information. I used to be a youth leader at my church. Lots of high schoolers to shepherd and love, as a father loves his children. And I still love them to this very day. Even after some of the choices they have made.

The Slap - I opened up Facebook (I know, there's a mistake right there) and I saw a picture of one of those youth group kids, a girl. She was lovingly being embracing by her same-sex partner. That kind of hurt.

A quick prayer from me, followed by continued scrolling.

The Hug - Suddenly there appeared a video from one of my favorite pastors. He was speaking about suffering for the Gospel. So, I watched it.

I was reminded how Paul suffered for the Gospel.

"Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea." - 2 Corinthians 11:24-25

Paul goes on from there to list many other sufferings, not to mention that he eventually died for the sake of The Gospel.

We who follow Christ will face decisions in our lives, sometimes daily. How will we face those decisions? How will we answer those tests from God?

Recently, Alistair Begg, a prominent pastor in Ohio, was criticized for advising a grandmother to attend a gay wedding. His marriage advice podcast was pulled from USAToday. He was rebuked by his fellow pastors. Begg refuses to repent.

This generation has perverted the wedding ceremony as if it were only for themselves. Is not an earthly wedding a foretaste of our soon-coming heavenly wedding? The bride (The Church) and the bride groom (Jesus)? Did not God create us men and women for a purpose?

For those who choose to stand firm in their faith, they are sure to be chastized and rebuked by those living in "the world." It hurts. But the pain does not breed contempt in the heart of the Christian. Rather love leads to compassion, and that compassion leads to impassioned prayer.

We all have people in our lives who make poor choices. We only have to look in a mirror to see an example. We are ALL sinners. But those who have chosen Christ must follow HIS path, not the path that this world has taken. Sin leads to death!

"Let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God. For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake." - Philippians 1:27-29

And again . . .

"To live is Christ, and to die is gain." - Philippians 1:21

And . . .

"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." - 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

Repent + Jesus = New Life

Suffering For The Gospel- Voddie Baucham

No comments:

Post a Comment