Saturday, March 9, 2024

Live In The Now


The world we live in today is a whole lot different than when I was a kid. Of course, that was 50+ years ago. A lot of things have changed since then, and not all of them for the better.

This generation of today lives by the mantra featured in my story title - live in the now. There's no thinking about the future or possible consequences. "Just do it," says Nike.

Back in the 60's the Boy Scouts had a motto - "Be Prepared." Everything we did was in preparation for some future event.

First aid, tying knots, foraging for food, exercising, camping, handling knives and axes, civil service, attending church. Everything was a training exercise for the furure.

And now? Most of today's kids don't even know what a checkbook is, much less how to balance one.

What do they do when the power goes out? "Well, my phone has a flashlight." And when the battery dies? "Umm . . . call mommy and daddy?"

I'm not a big prepper but I do believe in being prepared. The extent of each person's preparedness is up to the individual.

My preparation for the future has led me to Christ. Through Jesus, I know exactly what my future holds.

Yes, my wife and I buy things in bulk when they go on sale. Yes, we stock up our pantry and our freezer. We have a generator, we have a wood burning fireplace. But our faith and Hope for our future lies in Jesus.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Live for the future.

Live In The Now - Wayne's World

No comments:

Post a Comment