Monday, March 18, 2024

The Terminator


I watched a little bit of the old Terminator movie this past weekend. "I'll be back." Remember that? There's a lot of great lines in that movie.

Arnold Schwarzenegger plays the terminator and his mission is to "terminate" Sarah Conner. He is very relentless but ultimately fails in his quest. That's because a man from the future (Kyle Reese) comes back to protect Sarah.

When Mr. Reese finds her Arnold is shooting up a night club where Sarah is nervously waiting. Then Kyle says these words:

"Come with me if you want to live." - Kyle Reese

I thought about that statement for a minute. It sounded familiar.

"Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." - Matthew 16:24

Close enough. But that got me thinking about other similarities between the Terminator movie ans the story of Jesus.

The Terminator is Satan on course. Sarah is Mary, the mother if Jesus. Kyle is the Holy Spirit. Kyle and Sarah have a baby together - John Conner - the one who saved the planet. His initials by the way are J.C. Jesus Christ?

Sarah Connor was faced with a life and death decision. Would she follow a man that she never even met before? Or would she face certain death? The choice was simple. The same choice is ours today?

Will we follow a man we've never even met before. The Holy Spirit leads us and cincicts us of our sin. It is by followong the Holy Spirit that we meet Jesus.

Our alternative is certain death. Eternal death. Have you made that choice? To follow Jesus? I pray that you have.

Remember what Jesus told his disciples in Matthew 14.

"I'll be back."

Or something like that.

"And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." - John 14:3

No comments:

Post a Comment