Monday, May 20, 2024

The Unprayed Prayer


In our silent moments, prayerful thoughts come to the surface. When there are no distractions, no input, only the outflow of hidden needs or fears.

We close our eyes and think of someone. Are they loved? Are they well? Are they happy? Or are they sad and scarred?

It is not a long journey from those thoughts into a prayer. We picture our loved ones in our mind's eye. The process is simple. We love them, and we pray for them.

Today I am praying for a young friend that I met at a Christian music festival, maybe ten or more years ago (Once a youth leader, always a youth leader, right?). She is a mother of two now but then she was an insecure teen then, uncertain of her future.

The innocence of her youth was ripped away from her by an uncaring and abusive mother. An experience that still hurts her all these years later. Especially on Mother's Day.

I can still see her in my memory - that teen of ten years ago - a slight smile, quiet, not sure about trusting anyone. Fragile.

If prayers were movies, my prayer for her would look like this:

It's a summer day, not hot, but comfortable. The two of us are walking, and talking, down a path through a meadow.

I ask questions. The answers come, but slowly, cautiously. There's a bench up ahead so we sit and talk some more. And then I ask if I can pray for her. She says 'yes' but she's not really sure.

When I say 'Amen' and we open our eyes, there is Jesus. He is right there with us. He walks up to this young girl and smiles at her. He takes his hand and places it softly on her cheek, wiping away a tear as it falls.

She leans into His chest, sobbing, and He wraps His arms around her. Then, looking over at me, He smiles.

And that is my prayer for my young friend, that she would come to know Jesus. Her broken heart would be healed. But there's more. He's not done yet. He's about to answer an unprayed prayer.

Stepping out from behind Him is the girl's mother. He has healed HER heart as well.

We all have scars. We all have had our hearts broken in one way or another. But we are too proud to ask for help for ourselves.

Great philosophers have wondered, "Why are we here?" The answer is simple. We are here to love one another.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” - John 13:34-35

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” - Mark 12:30-31

No comments:

Post a Comment