Monday, June 17, 2024

Here I Am


It all started Tuesday morning. I was on my way to visit a friend and was listening to a sermon about the Holy Spirit. The verse used in the message was when Jesus was talking to Nicodemus in John 3.

"The wind blows where it wishes. You hear the sound of it but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit" - John 3:8

(The following is an example of how the mind and heart work when empowered by the Holy Spirit. Please do not take this as bragging. Rather, it is simply an example of the HS convicting a sinner to help someone and give honor and glory to God.)

How can we tell if we even have the Holy Spirit? One answer is found in the Book of James.

"But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." - James 2:18

So, if we are followers of Jesus,  and we are supposed to do whatever He commands us to do (works), what does that look like?

His first and greatest commandment was to love one another, right?

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another." - John 13:34

So, how do we demonstrate love to one another like Jesus did?

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends." - John 15:3

Are we really ready to love that far? To the extent that we would give up our lives for our friends? Jesus did.

That brings me to the story I wrote a week or so ago about a friend of mine who needs a double lung transplant. AND a new heart. How much do I love my friend? Do I give her one of my lungs?

"Lay down one's life for his friends."

Okay. Do I give her BOTH of my lungs then so that she might live? She definitely needs two. Oh, and a heart also. I forgot about that. How can I possibly do that?

"What does your love look like now, Mr. follower of Christ?" - Holy Spirit

Ouch.

What shoyld I do? 

What would YOU do? 

My friend and I met and talked again on Thursday. I told her I had a few questions about transplants. Here they are:
  1. Would she be willing to receive both of my lungs, and my heart, should the Lord take me home?
  2. Are the two of us even compatible?
  3. How can we set it up so that she is the recipient of my lungs and my heart?
Well, she is willing to receive, so that takes care of #1, but we have to wait two weeks to find out answers to the last two questions. Two precious weeks for my friend.

This all is an example of how God often works. He can bless us and often test us to make sure our faith is strong and in Him alone. And how do we answer HIS questions during our times of testing?

I felt convicted as my mind was driven along by compassion, mercy, and love (gifts of the Holy Spirit). Our choices in life should follow a similar pattern I think. 

The pattern is this: Hearing God's Word, being convicted by the Holy Spirit, and our faith leading to works that will bring glory and honor to God.

That's why we are here.

"And God spoke to Israel in visions of the night and said, “Jacob, Jacob.” And he (Jacob) said, “Here I am.” - Genesis 46:2

Please continue to pray for my friend and for God's will to be done. Pray for my friend to place her faith in Jesus one day. Thank you so much!

"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh." - Ezekiel 36:26

Live Like That - Sidewalk Prophets 

No comments:

Post a Comment