Monday, October 1, 2018

Joy In Pawhuska

I discovered something in the middle of the Oklahoma prairie this past weekend. I think I got a little taste of what God experiences when we do the things we were created to do.

My wife and I are currently on vacation. We are traveling south to visit a friend in Texas and we're taking in all of the sites along the way. The Gateway Arch in St Louis, The World's Largest Gift Store somewhere in Missouri, a goat farm. All the exciting destinations!

One place we HAD to stop was the Pioneer Woman Mercantile Building in Pawhuska, Oklahoma. The Pioneer Woman is a cooking show that my wife loves to watch on television. Pawhuska is where the Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, lives.

Pawhuska is a small town of about 3,400 people. Formerly a dying prairie town, it has surged in recent years as fans of The Pioneer Woman show have flocked to its streets. The Drummond family restored a downtown storefront into a very nice store and bakery. My wife wanted to visit.

My wife was born to shop. She loves it. She loves coupons and finding deals. But she really loved shopping in this store she has seen on television for the past several years. Normally I get bored waiting for her to finish shopping but I noticed something in her eyes as she floated up and down the aisles.

She was REALLY enjoying herself! I'd describe it as . . joy.

As I stood back and watched her enjoyment I began thinking about God. I think He enjoys watching us do what WE were created to do. What are the things WE do to glorify God? What are the things we enjoy doing that glorify Him?

At the end of the day my wife asked me if I had an enjoyable day saying, "It was all about me today." I told her that indeed I did have a wonderful day. I got to watch my wife, the love of my life, enjoying HER life. We are growing closer together through moments like we are experiencing this week. How many others can say the same?

My wife and I are having an enjoyable vacation. Each of us is doing what we like to do. But it is also a vacation of sorts just to relax and enjoy being with each other. Who created the prairie, the rivers, the sky that we are seeing? It was God! Did He not create us also?

How will we make God smile today by what we do?

"Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for God has already approved what you do." - Ecclesiastes 9:7

Tour of The Mercantile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4WUMzVuZ9I

No comments:

Post a Comment