Saturday, October 13, 2018

Pity Party

Do you ever feel like people are working against you? Like nothing is going right and no one seems to care? I guess we could have a pity party and whine about things. OR we could take a step back and ask ourselves one simple question.

I am building a tiny home right now and the exterior shell is all done. Now comes the interior work, much of what I don't know how to do. Plumbing, HVAC, electrical. I know ABOUT them but don't really know how to DO them.

So I decided to hire a plumber. Before my wife and I went on vacation I called up our usual plumber in town and made arrangements for them to come out and rough in the bath and kitchen in my tiny home . . . as soon as we got back.

I was glad that would be taken care of. I know plumbing basics but have never done any plumbing installation. When I called them yesterday to set up a time, I was told that they wouldn't be coming, at all. "We're too busy with septic systems right now."

Perfect. Just perfect. Now I had no one to do my plumbing. Time for a pity party and I was the only one of the guest list. Or so I thought. Someone else was coming however.

Later that afternoon I received an e-mail newsletter from the tiny home guys who sold me my trailer. The title of the article read, "Face Your Fear - Tiny House Plumbing".

Seriously? So I stepped out of my pity party and asked myself THEE question. The question every pity party attendee should ask themselves.

"God, what are you trying to teach me in this?

When we do that, suddenly things take on a different perspective. What IS God trying to teach me? Does God want me to do this myself so I can teach others? What is my fear in doing plumbing? Lack of knowledge. SO. Read a book! Watch a Your Tube video,  or 12. Basically, let's take care of this!

That pity party you had the other day. What was God trying to show YOU?

Maybe you think nobody likes you. What is God trying to show you? Have you retreated into a shell so deep that no one can find you? What is God trying to point out about you? About life? About Him?

We must trust in the Lord! He attends every one of our pity parties. He's probably wondering, "When is he going to stop looking at himself and start looking at me?"

Good question.

The party's over. It's time to call it a day.

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” - Joshua 1:9

"Those who know your name trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you." - Psalm 9:10

Father, forgive me for I have spent way to much time concerning myself with "me" instead of seeking You. It is IN YOU that I find my hope, not in me. May I seek you first in ALL things, in good times and in bad. It is YOU that calms the storms and erases doubt. May I trust in you always for your ways are not my ways. And that's a good thing. You are God, not me. Help me remember that. Amen.

The Party's Over - Sammy Davis Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment