Saturday, June 20, 2020

Observations of a Sick Boy

There are many things I have discovered while being sick. Some of them are really good, some unexpected, and others were rather disappointing. Some downright depressing. But the good gratefully has seemed to outweigh the bad and God, my King, is ALWAYS in control.

My relationship with God has definitely improved. Although reading has decreased dramatically, daily conversations, minute-by-minute chats have soared in both frequency and intensity. Even LOOKING at my Bible has proven beneficial.

My appreciation for my wife has grown massively. Just lying around watching what she does all day has been tiring. She works pretty much full time, which is amazing, but throw in her daily chores and the spare time things he likes to do and she's really getting tired. Now, add in all MY daily chores, needs, trips to the hospital and . . . wow.

Probably the saddest things I have observed during this week-long illness has been in my relationships. My relationship stock has crashed! I haven't really let a lot of people know that I am sick. I'm not someone who does that really. But I DO love all of my relationships. Those are pretty much gone.

Food tastes better. I should be gaining weight, but I'm not. I've lost 16% of my body weight. I am free to eat!! Anyone wanna go for a burger? HMU!

Turn off the television. It will make 25% of your worries and fears disappear. IMMEDIATELY!

I'm currently running low on energy so I have to end this post by encouraging you this these ways:
  • Never take your relationships for granted - whether with God, your spouse or friends, relationships are the most precious things we get in this life. Especially our relationship with God.
  • Don't think your doctors and nurses are able to read your mind. They can't. Just like in any good relationship, there must be trust. Tell them everything. Expect the same from them.
  • Offer appreciation when someone does something for you. No matter how small. It's an act of service. They didn't HAVE to do that. Then where would you be?
I will leave you today with my favorite verse. I have written about it many times. Call it my life verse if you will.

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor.
10 For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, For he has no one to help him up.
11 Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; But how can one be warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken."
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

No comments:

Post a Comment