Wednesday, November 18, 2020

For Your Glory

I have an old Corvette jacket. It's been hanging in the living room closet for years. I got it back when I used to have a Corvette. The car's long gone but I can't seem to get rid of the jacket. And I think I know why.

You might ask, "Why would a Christian wear a jacket touting a clearly materialistic and worldly car?" Well, the answer is quite simple. It's a trap. Lol!

Back in the day, when people saw me wearing the jacket, they would invariably ask, "Got a Corvette, huh?" or "So, do you have a Corvette?" These days my answer is different from what it was back then. As Darth Vader would say, "All to easy."

"Yeah, I used to have a Corvette but I got rid of it."

"Why? It's such a cool car! I bet it was fun to drive."

"Yes, it was. Got her up to 125 once at Road America. Cornered like it was on rails. But then I read a book that changed my mind about owning it."

"Really, what was that?"

"The Bible. Two verses really. Matthew 25:40 & 45. Jesus was talking with His disciples and telling them who would be getting into heaven. This particular lesson came down to what we did or didn't do with ourselves while we were on earth."

“Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." - Matthew 25:40

“Whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ - Matthew 25:45

I thought about those verses for a while and then asked myself, "What am I doing with this car?" I could have taken the money that I spent on it and done something good for someone else rather than myself. So, I sold my Corvette and began using the money for other things, things that would glorify God, not me.

"Don't you miss it?" they usually ask. "Sometimes. But then I think about what Jesus did for me on the cross. There's no comparison."

So, if you see me wearing my Corvette jacket one day. please, ask me about it. I'd love to tell you the story about how Jesus saved MY life and tell you about how He can save yours.



No comments:

Post a Comment