Monday, November 2, 2020

The Parable of The Chickadee

A cold, cruel world exists just outside the Hall house these days. The bird feeder is always pretty well stocked but our once active birdbath is now quite empty. Much to the chagrin of one forlorn little chickadee who was looking up at me this morning.

"Hey, there's no water in the birdbath! How do you expect me to take a drink? Fly all the way down to the creek?"

I felt kind of sorry for the little guy so I put on my coat and grabbed a bucket out of the garage. I put on my shoes and my coat and ventured outside in the 35mph wind to fill up his precious little watering hole.

When I arrived on the scene with a fresh supply of water there were a few pine needles frozen in the bottom of the bird bath. There was also a frustrated little chickadee sitting right next to me in the lilac bush - supervising the fill.

After I got back inside I looked out and saw my little chickadee friend taking a drink. He took a sip and then looked up at me. Another sip and another look in my direction. That's something this world could use a lot more of. Compassion. And thanks.

"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." - Colossians 3:12

Later that day the bird bath in our yard was filled with birds - all drinking the water and taking baths. My wife and I love to watch our backyard birds so we feed them and give them water. They repay our kindness by simply being who they are.

I watched the following video in the evening as I prepared this story for you. There was a hand-written message offered at its conclusion. How right it is.

A simple act of caring creates an endless ripple - that comes back to you.

Compassion In Action



No comments:

Post a Comment