Monday, November 16, 2020

No Longer Hidden

Looking out against a white backdrop of freshly-fallen snow makes it whole lot easier to see the deer walking through our back yard. If it wasn't for the snow, we'd have nothing for contrast. Everything would look the same.

The deer tend to blend in with the rest of their surroundings - the pine needles, the sand and the tree bark. They can be very hard to detect unless you know they are there. God designed them that way.

Unlike the deer, we Christians are NOT supposed to blend in with our surroundings. We are SUPPOSED to stand out. God designed us that way too.

"I am the LORD your God; consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am holy." - Leviticus 11:44

"Holy" means set apart.

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will." - Romans 12:2

We are not supposed to blend in with "the world". We are supposed to stand out. And just like the deer walking through our backyard, "standing out" makes them targets.

But the deer are smart. It's almost like they know the hunting laws. No discharging firearms within 500 feet of a house. THAT's why they hang out in our yard during hunting season!

The Levitical law from the time of Moses is not really there so we can try to live up to it. That's impossible. The law is there to make our sin stand out. And it SHOULD stand out. Otherwise we'd just keep on sinning; blending in the with world. The law is there so we can see that we have no hope, aside from God's grace and the death of Jesus on the cross and subsequent resurrection.

"I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13and among the lampstands was someone like a son of man, d dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. 14The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. 15His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. 16In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

17When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever!" - Revelation 1:12-16

Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment