Saturday, December 12, 2020

Legacy

How will people remember you after you're gone? Will that remembrance be good or bad? Happy or sad? The choice is up to you.

How do you want to be remembered? Someone shared this picture of a golf disc with me the other day. Someone is remembering their friend who died by writing their name on a "memorial disc" and asking people to play a hole with it. That's kind of cool. This guy's buddy is being remembered for his love of disc golf. Is that how I want to be remembered?

My answer to that question is a big, fat "No." But that will happen anyway. Why? Because I play disc golf a lot and I enjoy it. I share pictures of it on Facebook, I organize disc golf events on my community and honestly disc golf is a large part of my life right now. Is that right?

This "memorial disc" is making me think. How do others know who I am? Well, quite simply, it is by the things I say and do.

Yes, I like to play disc golf but I also love Jesus. Just reading that last sentence should tell you that my priorities are in danger of being compromised. I want to be remembered as someone who loved Jesus, first . . . who also played disc golf. And played it for God's glory.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." - Colossians 3:23-24

Everything we do in life should be for The Lord in some way. The verse says "whatever you do." How do our lives comply with that teaching? Is your life reflecting Christ? Is mine?

This memorial disc reminded me that I need to make sure I am honoring God in everything I do. EVERYTHING. Playing disc golf is fine as long as I am playing it "for the Lord." How do I do that? Creating relationships in my community and then communicating my love for Christ through those relationships.

Jesus told us that we are to "love one another." I think I would like that to be my legacy. Not that I liked one thing or another, but that I loved the Lord with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength and that I loved others as I loved myself (Luke 10:27)

Let us live this day for the Lord. What will that look like in YOUR life?

No comments:

Post a Comment