Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Jehovah Jireh

If you read the Bible at all you should know the meaning of the words "Jehovah Jireh." They are ancient Hebrew words that mean "God will provide." You can find them in Genesis 22 where Abraham was about to sacrifice his son Isaac on an altar.

God providing a substitute - a ram. A male lamb if you will. A foreshadowing of God providing HIS Son Jesus as a sacrifice for OUR sins.

"Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11But the angel of the Lord called out to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!”

“Here I am,” he replied.

12“Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”

13Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram a caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.” - Genesis 22:10-14

A group of area men and I are restoring a disc golf course in a nearby town. On the course there is a need for a small foot bridge to cross a creek. One of the men in our group posed, "Maybe we could get to local Boy Scout troop to build a bridge as a service project." Fast forward a few weeks.

I was standing in line for some ice cream at a local drive-in a week later when someone called my name. I turned and saw my friend Jon walking up to me. He was wearing a Boy Scout shirt.

"Do you volunteer with the local Boy Scout troop?" I asked. I'm SO observant.

"Yes," he replied.

"I don't suppose you'd be interested in doing a small service project for the high school disc golf course."

"Sure! We'd love to."

Do you see how God is working in this? Interestingly, the place where the Boy Scouts meet is in a building right next to the school. Each Monday night as we leave our work at the course we pass them. We think about asking them for help. Well . . .

Jehovah Jireh!!

"On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty, to God and my country . . ." from The Boy Scout Oath

No comments:

Post a Comment