Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Sure Footing

Some local men and I are restoring an old, abandoned disc golf course at one of our area schools. It is enjoyable work but sometimes we run into some difficulties, like this past Monday when we were cutting down some trees.

I had my trusty Stihl chainsaw with me and it was working well but one of the trees we had flagged for cutting was on the sloping bank of a river. And by sloping I mean 40 degrees. Steep.

Climbing down was awkward enough. The bank was constructed out of 2" crushed rock. With every step I took I slid even further. After reaching the tree I solidified my stance and made the cut. But then I tried to climb back up the steep slope while also carrying my chainsaw. It wasn't working. I was struggling big time.

But then I looked up and saw one of the guys had extended a branch for me to hold onto. Suddenly I had something "solid" in my climb and I was lifted right up. Amazingly simple.

Jesus can be that man in our lives, if we let him. We like to do things on own own, with out any help. That's called pride. If I wouldn't have accepted the help of my friend that day I would STILL be trying to get up that river bank!

God can be a tremendous help for those of us struggling to gain footing in this life. He was not the branch in today's illustration. He was the one holding the branch. But I had to look up and accept the offer.

We all have brothers and sisters in our lives, fellow believers. They love to help. But their help only works if WE let them help. When help is offered, reach out and grab it. Not only will you be lifted out of trouble but you will have also gained a good friend in the process.

"The Lord is my solid rock, my fortress, my rescuer. My God is my rock - I take refuge in him! - he’s my shield, my salvation’s strength, my place of safety." - Psalm 18:2

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." - John 15:5

On Christ The Solid Rock I Stand - Magen Thurman


No comments:

Post a Comment