Monday, May 3, 2021

Running On Empty

Do you ever get in one of those moods where you're really quiet, just thinking, not blinking, just staring. Everything's quiet and you wish it could stay that way until everything comes out right.

The mind can wander off to some strange places at times. That can be good or bad. Good is better.

We start thinking about our lives and all of the things we've done, the places we've been, the people we have loved. Again, that can be good or bad . . . or both. Focus on the good. Focus on what is true.

I was in that quiet place yesterday as I learned of the death of my sister-in-law. She had been battling cancer for quite some time and finally reached the end of her journey. It's kind of like the title from that old Jackson Browne song - Running On Empty. She simply ran out of life.

My sister-in-law was not a follower of Jesus. She once told me of a discussion she had with a theology professor in college. After the class had read a C.S. Lewis book, the professor told her, "Well, at some point you have to believe." I don't know that she ever got to that point. I hope I'm wrong.

Everyone needs a reason to believe. For some of us, the facts are enough. We see the Bible as truth. For others, there will always be doubt. They come to a different conclusion. Ultimately, they also arrive at a different result.

My encouragement for today is that we should ALL consider the outcomes of our beliefs and the results of our decisions. As Christians we ALL should be confident of our beliefs and the decisions we've made. They are based on God's Word. The TRUTH of God's Word. God cannot lie. If He did he would be contradicting Himself. God offers us all a "gas tank" that will never run out of fuel.

More from that Jackson Browne song . . .

Everyone I know, everywhere I go
People need some reason to believe
If I can get you to smile before I leave
I don't know about anyone but me. If it takes all night, that'll be all right

Now consider these words from John The Baptist . . .

“A person can receive only what is given them from heaven. 30He (Jesus) must become greater; I must become less.”

31The one who comes from above (Jesus) is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all. 32He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33Whoever has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. 34For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit. 35The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands. 36Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them." - John 3:27,30,31-36

And that is why I was quiet yesterday.

Please pray for my brother. Pray for strength to endure and for healing of his heart, and also . . . a reason to believe.

"Running into The Son, and I'm running behind."

Running On Empty - Jackson Browne

No comments:

Post a Comment