Monday, May 24, 2021

The Secret of Contentment

Are you content with your life? You'd better not answer that question. It's loaded.

If you ARE content, are you happy in that contentment? Or have you learned to live with your situation and are now content in it?

Paul, the Apostle, learned to be content in all things. He called contentment a "secret" Do you know what Paul's secret is? It's Jesus!

The following passage of scripture contains one of the most often quoted "coffee cup" verses in the Bible - verse 13.

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength." - Philippians 4:11-13

When that verse is cherry-picked out of the text it sounds like we will have all kinds of power and strength if we place our faith in Christ. While somewhat true, this verse really is about our weaknesses and struggles in life. It means that Paul has gotten through them with God's help. And we can too.

The same can be said for when we experience times of plenty. We might think "I don't need God. I have everything I need." That's called pride. You know what the Bible says about pride. It comes before the fall - Proverbs 16:18 God will help us with our pride. Just ask His people, Israel.

We can endure every hardship and every struggle with Christ in our lives. He's our secret! Our "ever-present help in times of trouble" (Psalm 46:1). He is "our refuge and our strength" (same verse). And that is what Paul meant in his letter to the church in Philippi. He wasn't bragging about his own ability. He was bragging about God's!


No comments:

Post a Comment