Saturday, September 18, 2021

A Heart That Hears

Just when we thought we've heard it all, something else comes along to make us think, "We ain't heard nothin' yet."

Everyone has reasons why they believe what they believe. And that's fine. The problem comes when a person or group thinks that YOU should have the same opinion about something that THEY do. Then the battle truly begins. Battle lines get drawn, volleys of words go back and forth, it can really get ugly. Friends and family members take hits, all because of our beliefs and our unwillingness to listen and truly hear what someone is telling us.

Solomon was a wise man. When God asked him what it was that he wanted, Solomon asked for something rather unexpected - an understanding heart. A heart that hears.

"Now, O Lord my God, You have made Your servant king instead of my father David, but I am a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. 8And Your servant is in the midst of Your people whom You have chosen, a great people, too numerous to be numbered or counted. 9Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?” - 1 Kings 3:7-9

Do we listen to people with an understanding heart?

Someone might think I should wear a mask or take a shot. They want me to vote for their candidate and give up my guns. They want me to have an extended car warrantee! They want THEIR will to be imposed on ME. Is that right? What happened to free will?

I recently had a discussion about the vaccine. Someone thought I should get it. This is what they said to me.

"Your free will ends when someone else is hurt."

Did you get that? In their opinion, my not taking the shot is HURTING someone else. Really?

Listening with an understanding heart tells me that this person is very compassionate for others. SO compassionate that they are "willing" to sacrifice MY freedom for their peace of mind.

But I also sense fear. Though they profess faith in Christ, why then do they live in fear? The two are not compatible.

We need to be compassionate for others, like my friend is. But the compassionate thing to do is to spread the Gospel, not fear. Why are people afraid of getting the virus? It has a 99% survival rate! Could it be that they truly ARE afraid of dying?

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." - Philippians 1:21

We all have decisions to make in life. Personal decisions. Decisions about our health, about what we watch on TV, about who we vote for. We should always make those decisions with and understanding heart. A heart that hears.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight" - Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment