Wednesday, September 15, 2021

What Am I Missing?

This story is about prayer, our need for it right now in this world, and my deficiency and inability to do it well.

I was playing disc golf the other day and lost my favorite long-distance driver in the tall grass. I walked all over the place looking for that thing. I couldn't find it anywhere. I was getting sad and frustrated.

Finally, after about 30 minutes of searching, a verse came to mind.

"You do not have because you do not ask." - James 4:2

I'm not going to pray for God to help me find my disc. He's got more important things to do these days. That's when another thought popped into me head and I prayed a short little prayer.

"Lord, what am I missing?"

The answer came quickly.

Get down on your hands and knees.

So I followed that "suggestion" and within 2-3 minutes I had found my disc.

"Thank you, Lord!"

That whole searching process made me examine my prayer life. And honestly, I found it lacking. Are my prayers REALLY heart-felt? Do my prayers convey a sense of urgency and dependence on God? Am I so desperate in prayer that I fall down on my hands and knees and pray earnestly for God's will to be done, and not my own?

Too many times I have gone through my laundry-list of prayer requests. In doing so, am I treating God like a magic genie? DO I make my three wishes and say 'amen'? I hope not.

This world needs prayer. I think it is now beyond the time for "now I lay me down to sleep" type prayers and time to 'put on the full armor of God' prayers. We need to be warriors now! Prayer warriors! Can I get an 'amen'?

Let's get busy doing God's will in our lives and let us be found doing so when He returns. Which may literally be any moment now. Pray!!

No comments:

Post a Comment