Monday, September 27, 2021

The Parable of The Broken Refrigerator

It happened a few days ago. The call came from the kitchen that our refrigerator's water dispenser wasn't working. "This is a job for Mr. Fixit!" my wife said.

Of course I had to try it for myself and, indeed, the dispenser failed to produce any water when I pushed the lever. What now?

The first thing we did was search for the owner's manual. It listed off all of the reasons the water dispenser wouldn't be working. I checked them all. None of them worked.

Then, I checked the water supply pipe in the basement. It was filled with water. Next I pressed the lever on the refrigerator door again and listened. I could hear the pump inside the refrigerator kicking in. At least it was TRYING to dispense water, but something was preventing it from doing so.

I tried dispensing ice. That worked. Then I switched back and tried to get some water again. Nothing. Hmm. I elected to partially empty the ice cube dispenser and see if the refrigerator would generate any new ice cubes. It did! Hmm. Water was at least getting to the ice maker. The problem was being isolated now. Something was wrong inside the door of the refrigerator.

As I waited for the refrigerator to produce more ice I searched for a YouTube video and I found one. The repairman said it could be a frozen waterline in the door. He said, "It's a common problem."

So I pulled out my wife's hairdryer and began warming the door. I blew hot air on the dispenser, the door, and the visible portion of the plastic water line, all for 15 minutes. Then I tried dispensing water again and . . . out it came! It was a frozen water line.

This whole process is EXACTLY like finding Jesus. Think about it.

First, we have to realize that we all have a problem in this life. Our hearts ARE "frozen" and in need of repair. We need Mr. Fixit and His name is Jesus. But before He comes to our house we have to do a few things.

We need to take a good look at ourselves to find out what the problem is. We actually need to acknowledge that we DO have a problem.

What are the symptoms? Look at the clues! Sometimes we can come to our own conclusions and determine what needs to be done, but the best and most efficient way is to seek out the advice of someone who has done it before. Talk to someone!

Ask a pastor. Talk to a born-again Christian. Ask them what steps THEY took.

Read the Bible. It's the instruction manual. It will tell you all of the possible causes and remedies for your broken soul.

Finally, realize that you CAN be fixed and made to function again. In the case of our refrigerator, what ultimately fixed the problem was a steady dose of something invisible to the naked eye. Air. Warm air.

The solution to life's problems often begin with the problem itself. Praise God for the problem! Problems create a desire in us to fix them - to find a solution. The solution is Jesus. He's the repair man. The means by which He works is the Holy Spirit. Once the Holy Spirit enters your house (you) your problems are over and living water will flow in your and through you, forever.

"On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. 38Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” - John 7:37-38

No comments:

Post a Comment