Saturday, September 17, 2022

Honor


A friend of mine died recently. He was a veteran of the United States Army. He was also a cop in the City of Chicago. Honor and respect were due him, and he received both at his funeral.

My friend was a member of our church. He still is. That's because members of our church, and the bigger Church in general, have an eternal home, and eternal life, through our faith in Jesus. And by the grace of God.

I used to sit next to my friend in church. Everybody has "their seats" you know. Lol! We had many good conversations before the church service began - mostly about the crazy world we live in. And the fact that "God is still on His throne."

But the thing I will always remember about him was the number of people at his graveside service. It seemed like half our church was there! And it was a work day!!

Why did so many people show up? Was it because he was a veteran and a cop? Maybe. Partially. But I think the reason so many people came to pay their respects was because he was loved and because he was our brother in The Lord.

There were no tears. There actually were a few smiles. Why? Because our brother was home with The Lord! "Rejoice! I say again, rejoice!" - Psalm 106:1

As I left the service, I wondered, would there be as many people at MY funeral as I had seen today at my friend's? I think the answer lies in how we live our earthly lives.

Did we love others, as Jesus commanded us to do? Did we love God? It is our common love for God that unites us with such a large family of brothers and sisters.

I look forward to future conversations with my friend and brother. See you soon! 🙂

"Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:10-12

No comments:

Post a Comment