"Even while these people were worshiping the Lord, they were serving their idols. To this day their children and grandchildren continue to do as their ancestors did." - 2 Kings 17:41
When I read that the other morning, I reflected on this current generation (including mine). We might even go to church on Sundays, but we can't leave the house without our "smart" phones. We're going to the beach right after and we've gotta post those pictures on social media of us in our swimsuits, hoisting a can of our favorite beverage, all adorned with our designer sunglasses and perfect teeth. Am I wrong?
Maybe I'm just a little disgruntled after watching the latest Packers game. But I think it's more than that. We are so accustomed to our "privilege" in this country. Think about it.
We like our food, of which we have plenty, but we just don't like having to wait for it. So, we invented the microwave oven. But that wasn't good enough. So, we came up with FAST food. We've liked that for several decades, but our schedules got too busy for even that. So, we paid people to pick up our food order and deliver it to our house. But sometimes we just can't wait even that long. So, we order our meals online and have them delivered to our house. We put them in the freezer and nuke 'em whenever we want. And we wonder why we're so obese. 🤔
Our religion can be like that too. We have the Bible. It contains everything that God wants us, and DOESN'T want us, to do. Yet that's too much to handle for many of us so we start eliminating the things we don't like. That's called "deconstruction." Kind of an ala carte Christianity.
The verse that always come back to is this one from Jesus.
“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?" - Luke 6:46
And here's another.
"You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of human beings." - 1 Corinthians 7:23
Then, of course, we have on-line church services, drive through communion, polka worship music, trunk-or-treat, on and on it goes.
We all love our conveniences, but a time is coming when our "essentials" are going to become more and more scarce. You can see it beginning to happen already with oil, gas and meat. Inflation and war.
"And there was a great famine in Samaria; and indeed, they besieged it until a donkey’s head was sold for eighty shekels of silver, and one-fourth of a kab of dove droppings for five shekels of silver." - 2 Kings 6:25
Let's hope it doesn't get THAT bad, but it could. But let's get back to our once-great country. We have lost track of ourselves and ideals. We have forgotten to pass our knowledge down to our children. Instead, "children" are having their way in this country, and we are worse off for it. In my opinion.
"But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first." - Revelation 2:4
Ain't THAT the truth. We need to repent and run to Jesus. We don't want to go through what's coming without the Holy Spirit within us. Otherwise . . .
"Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’" - Matthew 7:23

No comments:
Post a Comment