Saturday, April 6, 2019

The Parable of The Hat

Have you ever lost something valuable to you? Do you remember that horrible feeling, wondering "Where could it have gone? Where could it be? Well, wait until you hear THIS story!!

For the past week I have been unable to find my favorite hat. I've looked everywhere! The garage, the sunroom, the basement, I've searched every room of the house! Twice!! I looked in the tiny house I'm building, even at the place I used to work. Nothing. Not a single sign of where my hat could be. Disappointed!

This was a very special hat to me. It is actually older than my faith in Jesus! I wear it everywhere. Most notably to a local food pantry where I am known by my hat. It's lost saddened me greatly.

Well, Thursday, after I had gotten done eating lunch, I took my plate out to the kitchen sink and Boom!! I knew exactly where my hat was. Just like that! I could even see a picture of it in my mind!! So I hurriedly got ready to take a little car ride. You see, my hat was 45 minutes away, somewhere on the Ice Age Trail. [I wrote a story about that. You can read it here]

As I drove I found myself speeding and leading forward in my car seat. That helps you go faster you know. LOL! I KNEW it was there!! I began monitoring my feelings and my thoughts as I drove. I wanted to remember everything for the story I was going to write about God's wonderful provision.

When I pulled into the parking area for the Bohn Lake Segment of The Ice Age Trail, I looked to my left and began to laugh. There was my hat!! It was hanging on the trail sign. Someone had found it and placed it there. It was right where the image in my mind showed it to be, which freaked me out more than just a bit.

So I took some pictures of my hat and then placed it safely in the car. Just for grins I drove to the other end of this particular segment of the trail. I thought I would walk back to where the water had blocked my previous attempt to complete this hike. Guess what was there.

A bridge! Someone had built a 2x10 bridge across the water for us trail hikers. That person was probably the one who had found my hat as well. So I walked across the bridge (completing my hike), took some pictures and returned to my car.

On my way back home I thought about how God must feel when He loses one of us and then gains us back again. These words came to mind.

12“What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? 13And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. 14In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish." - Matthew 18"12-13

I thank the Lord for not giving up on me all the times I strayed of the path in MY life. I know it's just a hat but it was a great reminder to me of how God looks after each one of His children. I am SO glad He does.

One last thought. Think about the volunteer worker who maintains the Ice Age Trail. Isn't he or she a little like God in this story? He found my hat even though it was lost. And by installing that foot bridge he made my path straight and easy to walk. Thank you!!

And blessed be the name of The Lord!!!

The Parable of The Lost Sheep

No comments:

Post a Comment