Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Best Intentions

We start off each day with the best of intentions. We're going to nail that job interview, pass that test, lose that weight. etc. Then we actually get out of bed and everything changes.

Best intentions are like New Year's resolutions and they usually come with the same results. Failure. So what does it take for us to actually, and finally, make a change in our lives?

Sadly, much needed change often comes with a catastrophic event of some sort. "I am going to change my eating habits for sure this time, " said the overweight man lying in his hospital bed after cardiac surgery.

What about our Christian walk? We say the same things. "I'm going to pray more often than I do." or "I should really go to church today." It's the same thing as the secular world we live in. That shouldn't be us. Something needs to change.

Enter Jesus.

Jesus literally changes our lives. He can change us on the Damascus road or He can change us on the way to the hospital. But He does change us! If you haven't been changed after meeting Jesus, you haven't met Him.

Let's get off our butts today and change something in the "normal" way we operate. BE the change. Make a difference in someone's life today. Don't simply escape the day with best intentions. Do it! Do something! And pray!

Text a friend you haven't heard from in a while. Better yet, pick up the phone and call them. Go to Walmart, buy some blankets and drop them off at a homeless shelter. Buy some extra food and drop it off at your local food pantry. But don't forget to tell them the most important thing.

"These are from Jesus. He prompted me to do this today. Have YOU made Jesus Lord of your life?"

Unless Jesus is part of what we do, we are acting in vain.

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing." - 1 Corinthians 13:1-3

Remembering that "God is love," be more than best intentions.

"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace." - Acts 20:24

Best of Intentions - Travis Tritt

No comments:

Post a Comment