Saturday, March 21, 2020

Go Freely

I saw some advice from Martin Luther this past week. Written in 1527 as the world faced a deadly outbreak of bubonic plague, it seemed like pretty sound advice to me so I shall repeat it here and follow it later as I volunteer at the Ruby's Pantry food distribution later this morning.

"I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance inflict and pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence.

If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me, and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others. If my neighbor needs me however I shall not avoid place or person but will go freely as stated above. See this is such a God-fearing faith because it is neither brash nor foolhardy and does not tempt God.” - Martin Luther

Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns." - Matthew 24:45-46

It is wise to use precautions while this virus surrounds us but we are also Christians. We are not to have a spirit of fear. Therefore, when there is a need, we should act, if it can be done in Jesus' name. Otherwise, what good is our faith?

Be safe out there. And serve The Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment