Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Underline This!

Do you underline verses in your Bible? Or use a highlighter to mark your favorite passages? Which chapters are filled with the most ink in YOUR Bible?

Psalms is a good book. Proverbs, John, Romans - I think I've underlined something in every book in the Bible. And then there's Isaiah. Oh my, what a book!

If you are looking for things to underline check out the Book of Isaiah. Specifically the 53rd chapter. Half of the lines found in chapter 53 are underlined in my Bible. Here's an example:

"Surely he took up our pain
    and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
    stricken by him, and afflicted.
5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
    and by his wounds we are healed.
6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
    each of us has turned to our own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
    the iniquity of us all."
- Isaiah 53:4-6

Amazing words! Especially when one considers that Isaiah was talking about Jesus' crucifixion . . . 700 years before Jesus was even born! It's a prophecy!

Here are some more words to underline in your Bible:

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. 3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever." - Psalm 23

Those to are good words, worthy of remembering.

Here's a fun little test you can give yourself. It's an indicator to see if God's words are underlined in your heart and in your soul.

We are going through a tough stretch right now. There's lots of stuff going on. As a Christian this is actually a very exciting time. Why? Because the Lord is drawing near. Are you ready? Here's your test.

Question #1 - Are you nervous and worried about what's to come in the world?
Question #2 - Are you afraid of the future and what it might bring?
Question #3 - Is Jesus your Lord and Savior?

If your answer to Question #3 for you was 'yes', the answers to Questions #1 and #2 had better have been 'no'. If they were not, you should re-read Psalm 23 again and retake the test.

Jesus has promised that He will never leave us, He has told us that He loves us, and He has told us that He WILL return. He has told us in The Bible what the signs of His coming will be. They are happening right now.

Are you ready?

2 comments: