Saturday, March 14, 2020

Why So Afraid?

When we are afraid of something we have a tendency to withdraw from it, like a little kitten hiding from a big, bad dog. We all seem to be a little afraid these days. Are you?

Everybody seems afraid of everything lately. People are panic-buying toilet paper and hand sanitizer. It's crazy! Events are being canceled all over the place. Why?

Because we might catch something from somebody. Yes, it is true that people are dying from the dreaded coronavirus. But people also die from the flu every day and from driving their car the wrong way on the freeway. Why does this particular thing, this one thing, have us so frightened?

That's easy. It's the media and the politically correct culture we live in that has bred and is nurturing our fears. We're afraid that someone might be offended. We're afraid that someone might get elected again. We're afraid that there might be the slightest possibility we could get sick so we stay at home in our little hermetically-sealed boxes. We only poke our little heads out after the bullies are gone.

The real problem behind this whole panic situation, I believe, is our lack of faith in God. We have been paying the price for our sinful disobedience ever since we started pulling Him out of our schools and killing innocent babies.

"So the Lord sent a plague on Israel from that morning until the end of the time designated, and seventy thousand of the people from Dan to Beersheba died. 16When the angel stretched out his hand to destroy Jerusalem, the Lord relented concerning the disaster and said to the angel who was afflicting the people, “Enough! Withdraw your hand.” The angel of the Lord was then at the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.

17When David saw the angel who was striking down the people, he said to the Lord, “I have sinned; I, the shepherd, have done wrong. These are but sheep. What have they done? Let your hand fall on me and my family.” - 2 Samuel 24:15-17

This "plague" will come to an end, just like all of the others before it did. I believe we could make it end sooner by repenting and turning to God like David did but we won't. We will then undergo another plague, and another, until God gets our attention. We're simply too busy thinking that we can do things all by ourselves. And that's precisely the problem.

So, am I afraid of catching the virus? Not really. If it happens, it happens. I have no fear because God told us that we are not to be afraid. Numerous times! Yes, I still wash my hands. Yes, I sneeze into my elbow. But I am not afraid.

So, why all this panic? Why are we afraid? That is a question you will have to answer for yourself. I have already answered it and no longer live in fear. Won't you please join me? You'll be glad you did.

"for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." - 2 Timothy 1:7

Panic Buying At Costco

No comments:

Post a Comment