Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Do Not Pray?

I recently read something in the Bible that I found hard to believe, at first. But then I realized that it was God simply reaching the breaking point with His people. Are we as a nation getting to that point? That God would not even want to hear prayers for our country?

“So do not pray for this people nor offer any plea or petition for them; do not plead with me, for I will not listen to you. 17 Do you not see what they are doing in the towns of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem?" - Jeremiah 7:16-17

I read that and thought about our own country. We sacrifice our children on the altar of convenience by killing them while they are still in the womb. We perform sexual acts that are an abomination in the eyes of God as the LGBTQ+ movement gains a stronger foothold. We cheat in our elections just to get some agenda into power. We have stopped at nothing to satisfy our bloody deeds and our selfish needs.

Has God gotten to the point in his incredible patience with us that He no longer wants to hear our prayers? It's possible. A sinning Israel and Judah have proven that. They were God's chosen people! I pray we will never get to that point.

God drives home His do-not-pray command again in chapter 11.

Do not pray for this people or offer any plea or petition for them, because I will not listen when they call to me in the time of their distress." - Jeremiah 11:14

Shortly after God spoke these words to the prophet Jeremiah God's people were attacked, put to the sword and what was left were carried off to Babylon as slaves. What will be OUR fate be in the hands of Almighty God?

Why is Joe Biden in the White House? Why are all of our evil acts and laws being given free reign to flourish and thrive in this country? It's because God willed it. The Apostle Paul gives us the answer.

"Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator - who is forever praised. Amen." - Romans 1:24-25

We will be doomed to the same fate as God's people unless we repent. But honestly, I think we are beyond that point - nearing the breaking point with regard to God's patience. But there is hope. Again through the prophet Jeremiah.

"But after I uproot them, I will again have compassion and will bring each of them back to their own inheritance and their own country. 16 And if they learn well the ways of my people and swear by my name, saying, ‘As surely as the Lord lives’ - even as they once taught my people to swear by Baal - then they will be established among my people. 17 But if any nation does not listen, I will completely uproot and destroy it,” declares the Lord." - Jeremiah 12:15-16

Read that last sentence again. ANY nation. And notice that God handed out His punishment before restoring His people to their land.

Let us repent and then pray in case God is still listening to us. He IS a loving and compassionate God who desires the very best for us. But, although God is patient . . . He is not tolerant. Pray!


No comments:

Post a Comment