Saturday, February 27, 2021

A Child's Faith

"Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants You have ordained strength" - Psalm 8:2

Our granddaughter has been visiting with us for the past few days. Mom and dad were enjoying some alone time and my wife and I were only too happy to babysit. We have wonderful grandchildren and love watching them grow and learn new things. However, this old man was the one learning things yesterday.

My granddaughter and I were in the living room where I watched as she played. It was day two of her being without mommy and daddy. Toys were strewn everywhere as she played with one thing and then another.

She had never really showed any signs of missing her parents until she noticed a picture of her family on a small table in the living room. She walked over to the collection of pictures and began pointing at each person in them, saying each name.

"Grandma, Grandpa, Ryan, Lleyton . . . " We have lots of family pictures.

When she came to a photograph of HER family she again named everybody but then she reached out and picked up the picture. She looked at the picture for a while and then carried it over to the couch where she sat, staring at it. Then she hugged it.

Later that same day I saw her standing on the couch, looking out the window, waiting. I smiled, remembering days when I was a child doing the same thing for MY parents.

What a wonderful example of a child-like faith our granddaughter is. Waiting, hoping, yearning. I remembered Jesus saying to His disciples, "Let the little children come to me."

Where is OUR childlike faith, I wondered? Where is our yearning for the return of our King? When have we read God's Word as intently as our granddaughter stared at the picture of her parents. And have we ever clutched our Bibles to our chest as we prayed?

We need that kind of depth in our love and in our faith. It's exactly what God is looking for,

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." - Matthew 19:14



No comments:

Post a Comment