Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Our Heart's Desire

"Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart."
- Psalm 37:4

The desires of our hearts tell a lot about our relationship with God. What ARE our heart's desires? Are they self-gratifying? Self-indulgent? Self-ish?

Deep within each of us are our secret desires. They might be sinful in nature, or they might be God-honoring. They might even be unknown to us. Truly though, I think our secret desires are those we never even speak of out loud. They remain hidden. Only those who truly know us have any idea these desires are even there. But God knows them.

I received a letter this week from a long-time friend of mine. We spent a lot of time together in our high school - college years. We canoed multiple whitewater rivers together. Climbed cliffs in Door County's Peninsula State Park together. Little did I know the effect I had on him. I thought we were just good friends.

In his letter to me he opened up about how much he looked up to me, and still does, like an older brother. His real-life brother got involved in drugs and grew distant. Today, that relationship is still disconnected.

Going back to my opening verse, what does it say we have to do to receive the desires of our hearts? "Delight in The Lord." Do we do that?

I try to live my life according to God's Word, to love everyone I meet, and to honor God in my daily walk. Do those things qualify as "delighting in the Lord?" They must, because God has given me my heart's desire - to be used by Him.

God will bless those who honor him, and who "delight" in Him. It is an amazing feeling and an honor to be used by God in some way. What is YOUR heart's desire?

Refiner's Fire - TWP Band

No comments:

Post a Comment