Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Sowing Tears

One of the things I have enjoyed most since I retired back in March is having more time to read. I never was that much of a reader before, but since I have had time to do things and I find myself reading The Bible more than I ever have before.

One thing I like about reading through the Bible is, no matter how many times I have read through it, I am still discovering new things. Like Monday morning for example, reading the Parable of The Sower.

I have read that parable countless times. I could probably tell you the parable if you asked me about it. So could you. But the Gospel of Luke offered up something new this week, at least for me. Words I don't remember reading before. They're in verse eight. And they're different, depending on which translation you read.

I've read through the Bible five or six times using the NIV translation. I am now reading through the Bible again using the NKJV. Look at the difference. First the NIV.

"8 Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown.” When he said this, he called out, “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.” - NIV

"8 But others fell on good ground, sprang up, and yielded a crop a hundredfold.” When He had said these things He cried, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!” - NKJV

This change of wording jumped right off the page at me. When I rad "He cried" I was thinking actual tears. I checked out other translations.

ESV - he called out.
NASB - he would call out.
KJV - he cried.

Which is it then?

So I looked and found an on-line Greek - English Interlinear Bible. The answer is, it's neither. The key word is ephonei - which translates as "he sounded or he shouted". You can read the interlinear verses for yourself here.

Still, when I read "He cried" I wondered if it didn't truly have TWO meanings - first He shouted of course, but then also He cried. Why both meanings? Read verses 11-15 of the same chapter. Jesus explains.

11 “Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. 13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. 14 Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity. 15 But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience." - Luke 8:11-15

Of the four types of people in the parable, only one type is saved. Three quarters will be lost.

I guess I'd cry too, AND shout "He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"


No comments:

Post a Comment