Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Where Are You?

For someone who is supposed to know everything, God sure asks a lot of questions. Ever wonder why? Think about it. The answer is pretty easy if you had a relatively normal childhood, getting into trouble now and again. It all started "in the beginning, in the Book of Genesis.

Adam and Eve had just sinned by listening to Satan and eating the forbidden fruit. They were afraid of the consequences. They were afraid of God.

"8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?- Genesis 3:8-9

God knew exactly where Adam and Eve were. He was asking them to examine themselves. To find themselves because they had clearly become lost.

God knows everything. King David knew that when he wrote this:

"1 You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. 2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. 3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. 4 Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely. 5 You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain." - Psalm 139:1-6

I was reading in the Book of John this past week. Jesus had been betrayed and the religious guards were coming to take Him away. As they approached, Jesus asked them a question.

"Whom are you seeking?"

Jesus knew exactly who they were seeking. So why ask the question? Why bother?

Jesus asked them that question because they were afraid of Him and were unsure about taking Him captive. The next line after Jesus's question reveals this.

"5 They answered Him, “Jesus of Nazareth.”

Jesus said to them, “I am He.” And Judas, who betrayed Him, also stood with them. 6 Now when He said to them, “I am He,” they drew back and fell to the ground." - John 18:5-6

Why would they be afraid? They had the majority of the weapons. Why were they afraid? They had probably heard of all the miracles Jesus had done. Would we be afraid of someone who had power over demons and raised people from the dead? Most likely.

Jesus knew these things had to happen to Him. By asking this question He was basically saying "Let's get on with it."

What if Jesus asked us a question? What if, the next time we committed a sin, we heard a loud voice asking, "Where are you?" How would we answer? Would we be afraid? Probably. But we shouldn't be. Our sins have all been forgiven.

Let ME ask a question now. "If we have placed our faith firmly in Christ, what do we have to be afraid of?" The answer to that question is in the question itself. Where are we?

"In Christ."

Where Are You? - Frank Sinatra

No comments:

Post a Comment