Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Need For Repentance


This story is being written aboard the S.S. Badger, somewhere in the middle of Lake Michigan.
Something happened this week that made me stop and think about just how pitiful I am. How pitiful many of us are as Christians.
My friends and I were introducing our concept for a tiny home village to our local city. There were nearly 60 people present to hear our little presentation. Things went well. Everyone liked the idea. Then they toured the tiny house we had brought that my friends and I had built.
As we were cleaning up one of my friends said to me, “You were the star of the show. You and your tiny home.”
I replied, “No, SHE was the star of the show, pointing to another one of our board members who was within ear shot.
She pointed right back at me and said, “No YOU were the star!”
Funny, we think we have traveled so far in our walk with Jesus. I thought I was doing pretty well myself actually - until that moment. Until that moment when I realized just how far I had yet to go.
You see, God has to be the star of the show or we have failed. And HE was the star of the show that night. We told the crowd that it was for His glory we were doing this. Our non-profit’s statement of values is all based in scripture. God is the one we are doing this for. Not for ourselves.
Yet, despite that “disclaimer” I wonder if God was really the star of the show that night. I was so busy talking with people. My friends were busily preparing for the presentation. God was the last thing on my mind. And that is where I failed.
God needs to be the FIRST thing on our minds.
I wear a bracelet on my arm that reads “I Am Second”. Well, I wasn’t that night. It’s time to change that.
“29And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well” – Luke 12:29-31

No comments:

Post a Comment