Monday, August 13, 2018

Wisdom

There is a difference between knowledge and wisdom. As the old saying goes, "Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are fruit. Wisdom is knowing enough not to use them in a fruit salad." Similarly, it is one thing to know about God. Quite another to KNOW Him.

We held our annual family reunion this past weekend. Lots of people, lots of food, all kinds of people and beliefs, yet one common bond - love for one another.

I saw an interesting meme on Facebook this week. It said, "You will never look into the eyes of someone that God does snot love." God loves everyone and He wants us to love everyone as well.

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” - John 13:34-35

I have one relative who does not believe in God.. Maybe others have similar beliefs. I don't know. But I found myself alone with this person here where we are. God had provided me with an opportunity to speak to my relative about Him. Instead, I did something unusual.

I spoke to he about the loss of my dad and how blessed I felt to be able to say goodbye to him before he died. I was also able to tell him that I loved him. So I asked the person I was talking to stand up with me. With suspicious eyes she complied. I gave her a hug and told her that I loved her.

That might not seem like a big deal but it was in OUR relationship. Like I said earlier, she does not believe in God. I do. We have had discussions before. Most have not ended well. There has always been a tension in our relationship. That tension ended this past weekend. It ended when I told her I loved her and gave her a hug.

She knows I am a Christian. She has the knowledge of who God is. What's missing is the application, Seeing God's commands lived out in the lives of the people around us is essential in gaining the wisdom to realize that God is real and His love is real for every one of us.

As we walk through this life, "let us love one another, for love comes from God." (1 John 4:7). We can HEAR words but only the wise can learn the lessons they teach. How? Through the actions of you and me. Let us be about teaching others the love of Christ, not only by our words but through our actions. Let us demonstrate His love, not simply tell people about Him.

I Want To Know What Love Is - Foreigner

No comments:

Post a Comment