Saturday, August 18, 2018

The Parable of The Painter

I absolutely love this picture. Want to know why? To me it tells a story. A story of what God wants us to do with our lives. Today's story is about hope and a future we'd ALL like to see.

There once was a painter who was given the job of painting a rather large house. When he showed up for work the owner of the house gave him some instructions.

"Paint the whole house. I have given you all the paint you need in those cans over there. When I get back at the end of the week I expect the house to be painted. At that time, if you have done as I have asked, I will pay you the wage you deserve."

With that, the man left, excited for what he hoped would be a beautifully painted house upon his return. When the man came home however the house looked the same as when he had left. Confused, he asked the painter, "What happened? You were supposed to paint the house?"

"I would have done as you asked but no one opened the paint cans for me. No one put any paint on my brush. I brushed your whole house though. Here's my bill."

The owner of the house was rather upset and refused to pay the man. The painter went away sad because he was looking forward to his promised payment. There is a lesson to be learned here. This story is a parable of our lives as followers of Jesus Christ.

God is the owner of the house. WE are that house. The paint is God's Word - The Gospel - contained within the cans - The Bible. The painter is you and me.

In the parable, the painter didn't apply the paint to the house even though he knew where it was. In the same way you and I can profess a faith in Jesus yet, but if we don't apply His teachings to our lives (the house) how can we expect to receive our reward in heaven?

People will say, "Yes, but we can't lose our salvation. If we believe we will receive."

I would answer them in this way. I believe it is true, that we cannot lose our salvation IF we truly believe and IF the Holy Spirit lives within us. God's Holy Spirit is the can opener. If the painter truly had the Holy Spirit living within him he would have asked, "How many coats would you like me to apply to the house, Lord?"

Unless we LIVE our faith, a reflection of Jesus and His obedience to The Father, our faith is meaningless. Jesus will judge each of us one day. When we stand before Him on that day, will we be unsure of our place in heaven? Or will we have paint stains on our clothes from the life we just painted?

APPLY God's Word to your life. LIVE the Gospel every day. BE Jesus to other people in need of salvation. Paint until the can is empty.

"Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God .." - 1 Peter 2:12

Jesus Painting

No comments:

Post a Comment