Monday, December 17, 2018

The Candy Man


It was rather chilly Saturday morning. 19 degrees according to the Weather Channel app on my phone. I wasn't really looking forward to standing outside for the next 3 1/2 hours but then again, I wouldn't miss it for the world. You see, I'm The Candy Man.

Once each month there is a food distribution where I live. I volunteer there and absolutely love it.

The reason I love it is because I get to interact with everyone who come through the doors. I get to talk to all of the people when I pre-register them before the doors actually open. After I began volunteering at this position I noticed a few things.

The first thing I noticed is I didn't interact as much with those I already had registered. I was only talking with the new people. The second thing I noticed was . . . people were hungry. Nothing gets past me. That's when I began handing out Hershey's kisses to all comers. What a blessing!

Soon people were calling me The Candy Man. The candy was just the key though to unlocking people's hearts. Especially the children. A simple piece of candy always brings a smile.

In showing love for my friends at the food pantry they return that love with smiles and hugs and thank you's. It also opened up conversations. Because I am where I am and in conversation with people, and they know I care, they begin to reveal things to me. Some good, some bad.

This past Saturday I was able to pray for someone who had just found out that their grandmother had been diagnosed with stage four kidney cancer. There is nothing doctors can do.

I also prayed for a friend who quit her job so she could devote more time to doing what God wants her to do. Leaps of faith can be scary things but my friend took one, boldly. My friend is more interested in obedience than in being employed. Awesome!

"2 The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus. 3 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; 4 so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5 After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”

7 Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.” - John 13:2-7

Jesus came into this world as a servant. Washing the feet of His disciples was only one example of His servant heart. Perhaps that's why is feels so good to serve others - to share the love that Jesus demonstrated towards us.

This is a wonderful time of year to serve. There are so many people in need. I encourage you to find some place to serve. Make it part of your Christmas tradition. Jesus told us that the first and greatest commandment is this:

“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ - Matthew 22:377-39

Jesus also said this:

34“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” - John 13:34-35

Find a way to wash someone's feet today. You will be glad you did.

Hershey's Kisses Christmas Commercial
Footwashing - Michael W. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment