Monday, December 10, 2018

The Key To Happiness

I was feeling kind of down the other day so I went to bed early. "Maybe tomorrow will be a better day, " I said to myself. It was.

Waking up in the middle of the night usually is not a happy occasion. I would rather sleep through the night. But, when you gotta go, it's always best to answer the call, so I did. I wasn't happy. I wasn't sad. It was just reality. Let's just do it and get back to bed.

Before heading back to bed though I checked my phone. Maybe someone sent me a message. Usually there's nothing and I go back to bed. The other night however there WAS a message so I opened it.

Someone wanted to send me a Christmas card and was wondering what my address was. But this wasn't a normal address request. It was a photograph of my card, already addressed except for my street number and name. I replied immediately. I felt loved. I felt happy.

Later, while lying in bed trying to get back to sleep, I thought about my sudden mood swing from "blah" to "joy". What had caused it? Was it because someone wanted to send me a Christmas card? Partially. But that's not the main reason. WHY did someone want to send me a Christmas card?

Because they were thinking about me and they cared about me enough to do something about it. That's when it hit me. The key to my happiness, the key to finding JOY, is love.

The Book of 1st John tells us that "God is love". God is the source of love.

"God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17 This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

"19 We love because he first loved us. 20 Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. 21 And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister." - 1 John 4:16:21

Wow. Lots of good stuff in there. The key verse for me is that we are to be like Jesus (v17) in the world we live in. In doing so, others will know that we love them by our actions and by our words.

When we feel loved we feel good. We feel happy and joyful. Why? Because we were created to love and to be loved. God IS love!

Do you feel down today? Seek God. Are you wondering how you can feel happy during a sad time in your life? More God! Do you want to feel loved? Love others.

Jesus was the perfect example of love. He loved His enemies and prayed for them. How am I doing with that? I am supposed to "be like Jesus" in a world that desperately needs Him.

Christmas is coming up in a few weeks. What a perfect time to love others. So, what are we going to do? I think we need to get busy doing what we were created to do. It kind of gives new meaning to that words from that Christmas carol.

"Joy to the world, the Lord has come."

Are the words JOY and LOVE interchangeable? They should be.

Joy To The World - Faith Hill


No comments:

Post a Comment