Wednesday, December 19, 2018

The Parable of The Christmas Cookies

Each year about this time my wife begins baking cookies. My wife has developed quite a following of grateful people who enjoy receiving her sugary treats.

Some of those blessed recipients are the employees of the company where I used to work. Each year they always looked forward to the day my wife sent a big platter of her cookies in with me. Bev's cookie day is always a wonderful day for them.

When I retired earlier this year one of my co-workers came up to me with a sad face and said, "We're really going to miss you . . . and your wife's cookies." I got the feeling they were going to miss my wife's cookies more than me! Then they told me that I was only allowed to retire if I promised to keep bringing Bev's cookies in each year, despite my no longer working there. I agreed. I love making people smile.

My wife is a lot like The Little Drummer Boy Christmas song. She has a gift - baking - and she shares it with others. What a blessing!

This Christmas, I wonder what I could do? What gift do I have that I could share with others? I can't bake. I can't make too many things. I write stories though. I wrote one in my Christmas letter this year. I'll post that in a few days. But what else could I do? What can I share?

My heart.

I love my friends at work. So I told them that by visiting them, talking with them and giving out some Christmas hugs. It didn't cost anything yet it made people smile. Showing someone you love them is one of those gifts that keeps on giving. It's like a love chain. Like a strand of lights on the Christmas tree.

Be a light in someone's life this Christmas.

14“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:14-16

Little Drummer Boy - For King and Country
Light of The World - Lauren Daigle

No comments:

Post a Comment