Wednesday, December 12, 2018

The Faith Of A Child

So many times we over-complicate our relationships. We start reading things into them that aren't really there. The smallest of things can have major complications if we allow them to. If we lose faith.

My wife and I drove down to visit our daughter. We were celebrating her birthday a little early and taking our grand daughter out to see the Christmas Train come through town. Before we left I seized an opportunity to interact with my grand daughter.

Usually our grand daughter is quiet at first when her grandpa and grandma come to visit. Grandma steps in quickly and likes to carry her around. I tend to step aside and left grandma have her fun. But Saturday, as our grand daughter was playing by herself, I took the opportunity to interact - playing a little game of catch with a tennis ball.

Soon our grand daughter began to laugh as we played. She lost all fear of this big man who had come in and sat on the floor at her own height. She giggled and I smiled as I watched the innocence of childhood being displayed before me. Then I remembered this:

"2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 18:2-4

In watching this little child, our grand daughter, I found myself staring at what my faith should look like. Energetic, focused, without doubt or fear and excited. "How am I doing in those categories?" I wondered about myself.

Do I get excited when I talk with someone about Jesus? Do I interact with people at their level as they walk through life? Am I focused on what I am doing in the name of Christ? Without doubt? Without fear?

"15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[a] Do not be conceited." - Romans 12:15-16

In our prayers, do we have doubts? Fear? Or are we certain and confident?

The Faith of a Little Child - B. J. Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment