Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Examine The Cost

My wife and are on vacation. The other day we went downstairs from our motel room to get our "complimentary breakfast," which I am sure we somehow actually paid for. Breakfasts like this are different in these Covid times. Six foot spacing stickers on the floors, everyone wearing masks, people encouraged to eat in their rooms and disposable everything.

You can no longer go down the breakfast buffet line. You have to tell someone what you want. They plate it up for you. So I told the lady I wanted three sausages and some scrambled eggs which she promptly dished up for me. I smiled back. Which brings me to observation #1.

No one can see you smile while you are wearing a mask. That's too bad. I love smiling at people. That's one of the ways we tell people we love them. The wearing of masks basically removes smiling, and a little bit of love, from out society I fear.

The next observation I made was while my wife and I were eating breakfast. There was a "ding" and the elevator doors opened up. It was a father and his young daughter. As they stepped off the elevator they put on their masks. Observation #2.

The little girl looked almost frightened to me. She was walking out into a sea of unknown people. Did any of them have the virus that was making her wear the mask? Unknown. We humans have a fear of the unknown. I was saddened that this little kid had to go through this virus, something she had no part in creating.

When did we get to the point and a people that we felt the need to create killer viruses? I mean, who decided that was good thing to do? Yet it seems to be something we have deemed necessary for some reason. America, Russia, China, Germany, all have created biological weapons. China's just managed to escape.

Jesus spoke about a "counting the cost" as He talked to His disciples. Obviously, we have not done that with regard to creating things that kill.

"For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it." - Luke 14:28

The world is filled with many thangs that can harm us. Most of them are man-made. Have we totally counter the cost in our creating them?

Jesus telling us to count the cost was a grim warning for his disciples, all but one of who met with a terrible death resulting from their faith and belief in Him. Each of us must count the cost for proclaiming Jesus as our Lord and Savior.

Our faith will come at a cost. Family, friends, jobs - our faith DOES come at a cost. The question we must answer, as with anything we decide to do as a people, is, is it worth it? Is it worth the cost?

Jesus IS worth it. He counted the cross and found us worth the cost. That's something we need to always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment