Saturday, September 19, 2020

In An Instant

Do you remember a time when your life changed suddenly? Perhaps it was a fatal car crash that took the life of a loved one. Or the news that you had cancer. The terrorist attack on 9/11 changed an entire nation in an instant. There is coming an event that will change the entire world. It will happen in an instant as well - the sudden return of Jesus.

"Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed - 52 in an instant, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed." - 1 Corinthians 15:51-52

Today is Rosh Hashanah. It began yesterday actually. It ends Sunday. Rosh Hashanah is the Festival of Trumpets. Did you see the word "trumpet" in the passage above? It is written twice because it is doubly important.

Many Bible scholars agree that Jesus will return for His church (that's us) during the Festival of Trumpets. It could be today or tomorrow or a hundred years from now. But the time sure seems right, given all of the unrest in the world today.

No one has any idea when the rapture will occur but I confess I find myself praying more during this time than ever before. I am more mindful of the possibility of His coming. I am trying to be more obedient and more attentive to the Holy Spirit. Those are all good things no matter when we do them.

Do you smile when you think of seeing Jesus? Or are you fearful? His return is going to happen one day, that's His promise. I am more than ready these days. Longing for it actually. Yet I haven't always been this way. You see, I was changed in an instant once before. The moment . . . I came . . . to believe.

Believe - Staind

No comments:

Post a Comment