Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Restore Our Souls

I had no idea what I was going to write about when I started up the old laptop this morning. While I waited for all of the electrons to get themselves organized I picked up my Bible and began reading where I had left off reading last night. Psalm 22 and 23.

Psalm 22 is all about the crucifixion of Jesus. Yet it was written centuries before said crucifixion actually took place. It begins with these words which Jesus spoke on the cross. "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46).

The Psalm continues . . .

"They pierced My hands and My feet; 17 I can count all My bones. They look and stare at Me. 18 They divide My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots." - Psalm 22:16-18

The crucifixion of Jesus was a gruesome, horrible thing. Perhaps that's why Psalm 23 follows it.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. 3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake." - Psalm 23:1-3

Calming words after an agonizing trial.

The words of Psalm 23 have a tremendously calming effect for those who are struggling or in anguish. Just knowing that "the Lord is my shepherd" and that He watches over my "restores my soul".

Put down the phone. Turn off the television. Read Psalm 23 and meditate on its words. Perhaps the whole world should read its words. A restored soul is what exactly what we need right now.

Psalm 23 - People and Songs

No comments:

Post a Comment