Saturday, September 5, 2020

Into Your Hands

As we read the Old Testament, there are times we read a verse and say, "Where have I heard THAT before?" Jesus and the disciples often quoted scripture. I was reminded of that fact this week as I read through the Book of Psalms.

How about this verse for example. Jesus said this while hanging on the cross.

"About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" (which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"). - Matthew 27:46

Those were the words of David in Psalm 22.

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish?" - Psalm 22:1

Here's another one:

"Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” And having said this he breathed his last." - Luke 23:46

"Into Your hands I commit my spirit," was something originally written by King David. Read Psalm 31:5

"Into your hands I commit my spirit; deliver me, LORD, my faithful God." - Psalm 31:5

Jesus was always about His Father's business. Even at the end of His earthly life, Jesus was quoting scripture. Impressive. Jesus wasn't thinking about Himself when He died. He was thinking about His Father. Will we have that kind of devotion when it is our time to commit our spirit into God's hands?







No comments:

Post a Comment