Wednesday, September 9, 2020

I, Robot

An interesting string of events has led me to write this morning's story. First, the local channels feature on our DirecTV have stopped working. And lastly, I prayed, sang worship songs in my head, and quoted Bibles verses until I fell back asleep early this morning.

I'll keep this as brief as I can. I spent most of the day yesterday trying to get our local channels back. They disappeared on Friday. I don't really miss them but my wife sure does. I was on the phone with tech support, staring at "the guide" for our satellite dish, and trying all sorts of things to get those channels back. Checking connections, cutting limbs off trees to make sure we had "a clear view f the southern sky."

While staring longingly at "the guide" I kept noticing the movie I, Robot. Hence the title of today's post. Perhaps I should have called this story I, Idolater instead. Let me explain.

I spent hours trying to figure the missing channel thing out. HOURS. Do I spend that much time reading my Bible? In prayer? At worship? No. Why not? That's just "too much time." But I have enough time to devote to an electronic device?

Isn't that idolatry? Worshipping something more than God?

So I started an investigation, just like I, Robot's Will Smith, and guess what? I AM an idolater! Actually, we probably ALL are.

Time spent on our phones, on the computer, in front of the television set, that all adds up to hours of screen time. In fact, my wife and I got a data usage warning from the phone company yesterday. Too much time!!

That brings me to the time spent quietly singing hymns, praying and going through Bible verses in my head this morning. Do you know what that's called? That's called repentance. And this morning I am changed. But will it stick?

Last night already I had dismantled my phone. I even took the battery out!

I am reading the Book of Psalms right now. Perhaps that is where all the verses, prayers and praise came from. Those things don't usually get a prominent place in my daily life. That must change.

I don't want to be an idolater. Nobody should. So how do we change that? Verse 11 below has the answer.

"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God." - 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

We were washed, sanctified and justified! By whom? Jesus! And by The Holy Spirit! God is worthy of our praise. Let's not forget to do that today. And let us devote more time to doing that. More so than anything else. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment