Wednesday, April 17, 2024

The Eyes Have It


When we ask God for something in prayer, and then receive it, what happens if we don't accept it?
Back in November I was scheduled to have eye surgery. I have cataracts. And my eye doctor recommended getting them removed and having new lenses installed in my eyes.

"Your vision will be clear," they said. "There is a great possibility that you will not have to wear glasses anymore."

Sounds good to me.

So before my surgery I prayed for the surgeon and the nurses and that all might go well. I also prayed that if God didn't want me to have this surgery that it would not happen.

The morning of the surgery I was laying on the pre-op table. And, as they were inserting the needle into my wrist for my IV, one of the nurses burst in and said, "Don't do that yet! The doctor just called in. He's sick."

So, I went back home. The surgery was rescheduled for January, and I had the lens replaced in my right eye. But things didn't turn out as they had led me to believe they would.

My eye waters now more than it ever did before. I see you reflections in my right eye. My vision is no clearer now than it was before the surgery. Brighter, yes, but still blurry.

The surgeon now has me in a daily regimen of eye drops. He is hoping to reduce some swelling in the back of my eye. My expert medical opinion? They will never work. And here's why.

I prayed a prayer. And when I got an answer to that prayer (the surgeon was sick), I didn't follow it. I didn't accept it. But I do now.

Eye surgeon has told me that the next step would be a complete corneal transplant. Why would I think that would work when this didn't?

I'm going to keep it this defective lens, just as it is. It will be a daily reminder of my disobedience. Of my non-belief.

"If you will not listen to the voice of the Lord, but rebel against the command of the Lord, then the hand of the Lord will be against you, as it was against your fathers." - 1 Samuel 12:15

Here's what I have learned in all of this:
  1. Pray, because the Lord does answer the prayers of his children.
  2. Listen for the voice of the Lord, and His answer to prayer.
  3. Follow his commands and instructions.
  4. Praise Him, no matter what the result because He is God. He will make your paths straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment