Monday, June 3, 2019

Ala Carte Faith?

Do you like eating at those all-you-can eat buffets? I think a lot of people do. Every time I drive by a Cracker Barrel for example the parking lot is always full. People like to have everything they want. What ever our little hearts desire. But is that how our faith and our beliefs should be?

I was talking with a young friend of mine the other day. She is still searching I think. She was carrying a Bible but then also spoke to me about believing in reincarnation - basically a do-over for a life not lived to the fullest.

Can we pick and chose when it comes to our faith? I don't think so. There are a wide variety of belief systems but, regardless of which one we chose to follow, we cannot take parts of one and combine it with part of another. Doing so would make US the gods, would it not?

Christianity offers eternal life through faith in Jesus, the Son of The Living God. The Bible is filled with stories of what happened to the Israelites when they intermingled with other faiths and worshiped other gods. It didn't end well for them.

I believe there is one God who exists in three parts - The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. There is no reincarnation or any do-over. We get this one life to live here on earth and then we die. BUT our spirit will live on in a new heavenly body . . . for ever.

The next time I go out to eat I think I will just order fish and leave it at that.

6Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” - John 14:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment