Thursday, June 27, 2019

The Simple Things

When we distill life down to its basic elements it really is quite simple. Our "needs" are actually  very few. We need air to breathe, we need food, water and sleep. Clothing is optional but quickly becomes essential when the temperatures drop, or someone comes to visit. Shelter is another seasonal need. But the one thing that we all need is love.

Have you seen any of those videos of kids being surprised by their mom or dad who came home from military service overseas? I love watching those. So do you, I'm sure. Why is that? I think it's because the kids miss the physical and visual presence of their parent. The ability to give them a hug. They miss the presence of tangible love.

I have found that, even in my old age, I still need to be loved, just like everyone else. But kids especially need to feel loved these days.

When I was a youth leader at my church I saw kids whose parents were divorced or separated. Relationships never seem to work when love is not present. Love is the key.

I met a kid nine years ago while on a mission trip. This kid was very loving as a small child. The member of our team were humbled by all of the hugs we received. But today that little kid is a teenager. Facebook posts are filled with gang signs, tough talk and thoughts of death and suicide. What happened? I think love, true, unconditional love, has disappeared from this persons life.

I reached out to this young friend this week. We talked about love, the kind Jesus offers. I could almost hear the pain in this young one's heart when they said, "It's nice to know that someone cares." What they are really saying is that they didn't know that anyone cared before.

We all want to feel loved. The question is are YOU willing to love someone else the way YOU want to feel loved? Someone has to make the first move. Extend a hand in friendship, change your schedule to accommodate someone else, listen to them, empathize with them. If you can't do that, perhaps YOU are the one who needs to feel loved.

Christians are especially good and showing love. Why? Because we know God. We have experienced HIS love for us. Are we just supposed to keep His love to ourselves? Or would God want us to share His love with others?

“ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ c 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  - Matthew 22:37-39

Pretty Simple

Love Is A Cross - Russ Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment