Monday, July 15, 2019

Lifest 2019 - One Story

Me and Wade
Each year around this time I visit Oshkosh, Wisconsin and attend a Christian music festival known as Lifest. Yes, there is lots of music to listen to, but that's not why I go. I go because I see God working there. And I love to watch!

This first story I touched on briefly in my last blog post. I was sitting in the merchandise building on a warm Thursday afternoon, talking with a former youth group kid, when this good-looking guy comes rolling up to me in his wheelchair.

I was sitting at a picnic table, facing out when my new friend came into view. This guy was aiming right at me! No doubt about it.

"Yes?" I asked, as he started pointing to words and letters on the hand-written board in front of him.

I-F I  G-O G-E-T A G-Y-R-O W-O-U-L-D Y-O-U F-E-E-D I-T T-O M-E

I pieced the letters together as he went and it wasn't long before I figured out he want me to feed him dinner.

"Sure." I replied, and off he went.

As he sped away I wondered, "Why me?" There were hundreds of people roaming around in that place, soaking up the air conditioning. What made ME stand out amongst them?

Maybe it was because I was old and he figured I couldn't run fast. Maybe it was because of my tee shirt that reads, "Pray Obey Love Repeat". Or maybe it was because I wasn't afraid to make I contact with him, which I did, and not ignore him, which I didn't do.

I also began to wonder what life must be like for Wade. He came to Lifest in a taxi. The miracle to me was that he came at all. What an effort! Yet here he was at a Christian event. He impressed me with his boldness and hopeful expectation. Something we all could use more of.

Wade's tablet and his half-eaten gyro
15 minutes after my new friend had left he came scooting over with a gyro on his tablet.

"Alright, here we go. You ready?" His open mouth gave me my answer and in went bite number one. As he ate we talked and we had an amazing conversation. Wade is a very funny guy too. We laughed a lot in our 60-minute visit.

It wasn't long before Wade was thirsty and wanted me to get him a root beer. He pointed to a box on the rear of his wheel chair so I opened it up to reveal a chained wallet.

"This guy is very trusting," I thought to myself. I pulled out a 20 and got him his drink (in a cup with a straw), then returned and placed the change back in his wallet.

We finished the gyro and the soda and parted company. I never saw him again.

So many questions ran through my mind. "Why did he pick me?" was just one of them. .Another was, "What are you trying to show me Lord?" "Are you testing me?" was another.

Life is filled with all kinds of situations. How we handle them is what defines who we are. Do we ignore the uncomfortable in favor of the easiest thing to do? Or do we step into the unknown. As is says in Casting Crown's The Voice of Truth (featured in  my last story) the unknown is "where Jesus is." We are not called to have a spirit of fear but to step forward, boldly. That's why it's called faith.

"The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”


Jesus said, “Feed my sheep."
- John 21:17

Lord, let me ALWAYS be willing to feed your sheep. Whether it is a gyro or the living Word of God, let me offer it boldly and with great hope. You are the Good Shepherd. You are our Daily Bread. May we never forget that. May we LIVE that. Feeding your sheep with the same love you have given us. In your Holy name. Amen.

Feed My Sheep - David Wilkerson

No comments:

Post a Comment